A Travellerspoint blog

Valparaiso, Chile - Wednesday, 11 March 2015

Valparaiso, meaning "paradise valley", the historic centre beig a World Heritage Site. Farewell gala dinner tonight with the Captain and crew.

Calm sailing all night and woke to a very calm sea, in the middle of the ocean.  Not a bit of land in sight.  Found Rikus and gave him the 4 gig card for him to down load his little movie for us about Antarctica and the Chilean Fjords Cruise.

As we still have our welcome on board bottle of Mumm Champagne, we have invited Rikus, Jane, Shirley and Alec and Jan and Greg to share it with us this afternoon at 6.30 pm.

We have both started to pack and it's all just about done. Our fabulous butler, Baptiste. How are we going to live without him?


Pulled alongside in Valpariso just after 12 noon.  It is a huge big port and the city looks big too.  We are going ashore for a quick look and may come back for the day when we are in Santaigo.  It is quite overcast, but the sun is trying to shine through.  It is supposed to be 25 degrees here today.  I'm not sure if the haze is mist/fog or pollution.


We waited until all the French had gone ashore on their excursions and then we ventured ashore.  What rigmarole that was!  First we caught the shuttle bus that was waiting at the end of the gang plank, it drove a long way through the dock and then we got out at the terminal.  We had to go through security and have our bags xrayed.  Then we walked out the main gate and had to walk all the way back up the road to the main square.

Phil hailed a taxi that had a passenger in the back.  It stopped and I hopped in the back with the passenger and Phil hopped in next to the driver and off we went - us not speaking Spanish and both of them with no English.  Somehow we got him to stop at the main square and Phil gave him one American dollar and he seemed pretty happy with that.


Valpariso is not very nice.  It is run down and dirty so we found a shop and bought some wine for Baptiste and then caught a taxi back to the port and went through the same security rigmarole to get back to the ship.  Phew!  We were waiting on the shuttle bus with Shirley and Alex when Baptiste and Priscilla hopped on too.  They had been ashore for the afternoon.  Shirley and I were having a guided tour of the galley at 4.15 pm and arrived back spot on 4.15 pm but missed the tour.  Pete and Deb said that we didn't miss much.


We had our champagne then had our daily meeting with Rikus and then went to the dining room with all the others for our "last supper".  Final packing and then into bed.


Posted by gaddingabout 20:26 Archived in Chile

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint